Chicago Cubs Opening Day Starters
April 4, 2016
I guess we should've known early on that it was going to be a good year for the Cubs as opening night versusu the Angels went so well.
Dexter Fowler led off the Cubs season with a double and scored in the first inning, got 3 hits and scored 3 runs in the game. Jake Arrieta went 7 innings, giving up just 2 hits
as Cubs easily defeated the Angels 9-0.
April 5, 2015
Wrigley Field opens the season with a night game for the first time in team history. The team also unveils their new video boards. The renovations also had many fans
waiting in lines to the restrooms. I know-I was one of them. It was also the first opening day at Wrigley after the death of Cubs great Ernie Banks and the team had
pictures of Banks all over the bleachers that were being renovated as well. It is also the Cubs debut of free agent pitcher, Jon Lester. Lester pitched alright, but Cardinals pitcher, Adam Wainwright was better as he shut out the Cubs for a 3-0 Cardinals victory. Jason Heyward has 3 hits in his Cardinals debut and Matt Holliday drives in 2 runs for the Cardinals.
A few pics of Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks to cover the empty bleachers for the Cubs home opener in 2015.
Congratulations to Chicago Cubs pitcher, Jeff Samardzjia who was selected to be the Opening Day starter for 2013. In 2013, Samardzjia emerged as the talented pitcher the Cubs saw when they offered him an above market contract after coming out of Notre Dame where he was also a talented Wide Receiver who had the option of playing professional football as well.
Samardzjia joins a tradition of great Cubs pitcher's who received the honor of beginning a new Cubs season like Rick Sutcliffe, Fergie Jenkins, and more recently Carlos Zambrano and Ryan Dempster.
Lou Warneke holds the Cubs record for most consecutive opening day victories. Warneke won all 4 starts to the Cubs season from 1933 to 1936. Warneke had shutouts in 1933 and 1934.
Fergie Jenkins has started the most opening days for the Cubs (7). He opened the Cubs seasons for 1967, 1969-1973 and 1983).
Carlos Zambrano had the record for most consecutive opening day starts with 6 from 2005 to 2010.
Rick Sutcliffe is the last Cubs pitcher to win consecutive opening day starts when he accomplished this in 1988 and 1989.
Rick Reuschel was a great pitcher during lean times for the Cubs. He started 4 consecutive opening days for the Cubs from 1978 to 1981, but he took the loss in all 4 games.
Pitchers who have started 2+ opening days for the Chicago Cubs
- Fergie Jenkins (7) 1967, 1969-1973, 1983
- Carlos Zambrano (6) 2005-2010
- Larry Corcoran (5) 1880-1882, 1884-1885
- Clark Griffiths (5) 1895, 1897-1900
- Rick Sutcliffe (5) 1985-1989
- Orval Overall (4) 1907-1910
- Grover Cleveland Alexander (4) 1918, 1921-1922, 1925
- Lou Warneke (4) 1933-1936
- Bob Rush (4) 1953, 1955-1957
- Larry Jackson(4) 1963-1966
- Rick Reuschel (4) 1978-1981
- Bill Hutchinson (3) 1889-1890, 1894
- Jack Taylor (3) 1901-1903
- Claude Passeau (3) 1941-1942, 1946
- Jon Lieber (3) 2000-2002
- Terry Larkin (2) 1878-1879
- John Clarkson (2) 1886-1887
- Carl Lundgren (2) 1905-1906
- Hippo Vaughn (2) 1915, 1917
- Bill Lee (2) 1939-1940
- Paul Minner (2) 1952, 1954
- Bob Anderson (2) 1959-1960
- Ray Burris (2) 1976-1977
- Mike Morgan (2) 1993-1994
- Kerry Wood (2) 2003-2004
- Ryan Dempster (2) 2011-2012
Fan Duel Fantasy Sports